Balanced Running is combined with balanced living, our mission is to improve your quality of life through running and walking. We’ve created impactful partnerships because we’re community leaders and health advocates. We believe that all walks of life deserve to improve their quality of life through a supportive and motivating environment. Whether you’re a walker, runner or a combination of both, our goal is to help you, the Athlete, discover untapped possibilities within you.
So what is Lactic Acid?
It is produced in muscle cells including red blood cells. It forms when your body breaks down carbohydrates to use for energy during times of low oxygen levels. Your Body uses carbohydrates, fats and proteins for energy. Enzymes in muscles brake down carbs in a series of reactions that release small amounts of energy at a time.
Did you know?
- In a study (Sports Medicine, Volume 36, 2006) there’s data to support benefits of lactic acid?
- Lactic acid is the most efficient fuel your muscle uses?
- Over 80% of the energy used to power muscles is lost as heat, therefore burning fuel instantly for energy produces heat that burns your muscles?
- Enzymes require oxygen to turn food into energy?
Studies also supported:
- When you exercise hard and can’t get all the oxygen you need to break down food for energy, lactic acid accumulates in muscles and spills over into your bloodstream.
- This makes muscles burn forcing you to slow down.
- Muscles require little oxygen to turn lactic acid into energy.
- Lactic acid helps you exercise with less available oxygen.