If you’re like many runners, the cold won’t stop you, you’ll even “weather” pouring down rain and push through your run while feeling that your shoes are two 5 pound water balloons weighing you down (obviously, always keeping safety first).
When running in cold weather, (as many of you have recently experienced on your training days), it can certainly be a bit miserable. As a rule of thumb, you’ll want to dress at least 20 degrees warmer than the air temperature during your run (our bodies will warm up by 20 degrees).
- Long sleeved technical shirt certainly comes in handy (you’ll want to try various types of shirts to see what works best for you or even perhaps adding a light weight running jacket or windbreaker).Ensure the items you choose are Moisture wicking materials.
- Gloves are a plus for cold weather running. Keep in mind our blood flow gets diverted to working muscles, so our phalanges are usually one of the first to get cold
- Ear warmers or running hat. A visor comes in very handy during the summer-it blocks the sun and/or rain. A cap or ear warmers also provide warmth to your ears and a full hat will contain the heat your body needs. (neck warmers also referred to as “neck gators” are also handy).If wearing a hat, ensure it has some type of sweat band built into it so sweat or salt from your sweat is not running down your eyes.
- Bonus: you’ll often find give-aways at expos for gloves or hats and even neck-gators (if you’re an athlete with Balanced Running, these items are provided to our registered athletes, jackets, bags, shirts, neck gators, gloves, visors, just to name a few of the perks of running and training with us).
- Socks are just important. Don’t skimp on flimsy socks, you’re walking on two of the most important pieces of your body ~ (avoid cotton socks; cotton is non-breathable)
- Ensure your clothing options are moisture wicking, technical material, mesh ventilation to protect the skin areas. And don’t wear cotton – it’s non-breathable and becomes heaving from water, sweat, etc. “Cotton is Rotten for running”.