Hey Balanced Runners,
Several athletes have asked about training during the week. We have the Saturday morning group and the Thursday Dawn Patrol/Track Practice sessions, but what else should we be doing?
This is the perfect time of year to establish your training rhythm that will help you build consistency through the year. Establish your warm-up routine, stretching routine, the best time of day to train, and best days to do certain types of training (such as effort runs, long walks/runs, strength training, etc…).
It is also the time of year to prepare for more intense training – don’t worry this is coming your way. So, keep intensity low, and work on consistency.
I know, get to the point and what should we do?
• Run/walk 3 to 4 times a week (BR gives you 2 opportunities)
• Incorporate 2 to 3 strength training sessions (you’ll get one on Saturday mornings)
• Try a cross-training workout on a non-running day (walking, swimming, elliptical, etc…)
• Warm up before each workout
• Stretch and recover after each workout
We will work on building more structure until mid-March, when we’ll launch the 5k program to get ready for the first Kennesaw Grand Prix 5k.
If you have any questions or want to talk through your training needs and situation, just let one of the coaches know and we’ll help seek a solution.